There are a variety of opportunities for adults to gather for learning and fellowship. Adult education offerings currently include:
Wednesdays, 10 a.m. This longstanding tradition at Shepherd offers a weekly pastoral-led Bible study. Come for Bible study, food, and fellowship! The group meets at 9:30 a.m. for coffee, treats, and fellowship before beginning a Bible study at 10. The Bible study is based on the following Sunday’s sermon text. All are welcome.
We are excited to announce our Wednesday Night Adult Education Speaker Series for this year. Dinner will be served at 5:30 pm. All are welcome, kids and adults. Speakers start at 6:30. We hope you will join us!
- October 4, “A Good Time for the Truth: Race in Minnesota.” Panelists: Sun Yung Shin and Taiyon Coleman
- November 1, 2017, “13 Reasons Why: Depression, Anxiety, Suicide and Bullying”. Speaker: Eowyn Gatlin, MSW, LGSW; with Headway
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018, “The Virtual Body of Christ in the Digital Age.” Speaker: Deanna Thompson, Ph.D., Professor or Religion at Hamlin University
- April 4, 2018 “Race, Life, Implicit Bias and Faith.” Speaker: Anne Phibbs, Ph.D.
- May 2, 2018, “Personal Coaching: A Resource for Family Relationships.” Speaker: John Martinson
Faithful Parenting group*
6:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesdays. At Faithful Parenting we connect parents in order to support one another and to grow in faith. This fall we will spend 6 week using the Animate Series through Augsburg Fortress in order to guide an facilitate our conversations. Each week we will be watching a short video introducing our topic for the week and then exploring that topic in conversation.
Topics include: God: Faith is a Quest (Brian McLaren), Religion: Spirituality is not Enough (Lillian Daniel), Jesus: The Revolution of Love (Mark Scandrette), Salvation: Abundant Life Now (Shane Hipps), Cross: Where God is (Nadia Bolz-Weber), Bible: A Book Like No Other (Lauren Winner), Church: An Imperfect Family (Bruce Reyes-Chow).**
*If you would like child-care for Faithful Parenting please speak with Pastor Joanna Mitchell and we can arrange it for you.
** In the past we have explored questions of how to raise your children in faith. This fall, our classes are designed to help us invest and discover our own faith and beliefs. This class although named Faithful Parenting is not just for parents. I would welcome any and all people to attend. Please consider joining our group. I promise we will welcome you with open arms!!
Women’s Book Club
Once every few month, a group gathers to enjoy fellowship and discuss a book related to faith and life. Join us for our first book club this year on September 8th at 7pm at Beujoux to discuss Tattoos on the Heart by Father Greg Boyle. Please contact Pastor Joanna Mitchell or Kaye Wothe for details. Mark your calendar for the following dates: December 3rd at 11am at Pizza Luce, January 14th at 11am, March 18th at 6pm.
Parents of Young Adults
Parents of Young Adults (PYA) meet for fellowship and conversation about the joy and challenges of parenting young adults. Please contact Kaye Wothe for more information.
Calling all caregivers!! We want to welcome you to join us for our monthly caregiver support meetings here at SOTH. Daytime meetings are the second Monday of each month at 2:00pm in the chapel. Evening meetings will be the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm Please join us as we talk, learn, share, care, consider God’s word and pray together. Talk to Kaye Wothe, parish nurse, if you have questions.
Men of SOTH (a.k.a. MoSOTH)
Meet several times during the year for food and fellowship.
- October 6-8: Retreat to Voyager Bay
- November 18 at 6:30am: Breakfast with Speaker, Rollie Martinson
- January 13 at 6:30am: Breakfast with Speaker, Former Governor Al Quie
- April 7 at 6:30am: Breakfast with Speaker Mark Tranvik
Title: Our Calling as Citizens: Commanded, Complicated and Crucial
Women of SOTH (a.k.a. WoSOTH)
Women of Shepherd of the Hills will gather together for a time of fellowship, learning and engagement for women of all ages. We will meet on 3 Saturday mornings during the year for breakfast, a time of connection and a speaker. Join us on the following Saturdays from 7:45am-9:30am. Contact Pastor Joanna Mitchell or Kaye Wothe.
Saturday Breakfast Dates:
- October 28 – Speaker Kathie Nyckelmoe is a pastor at St. Stephen’s in Bloomington, MN. She is a Spiritual Director and teacher of faith practices. Kathie will be leading us in devotion and giving us tools to strengthen our faith life.
- February 3rd– Speaker: Mary Kay DuChene., Mary Kay has a long career in leadership coaching and consulting in the corporate world. Called to devote her work to the church, in 2010 she brought that expertise to clergy through the SHAPE program. Today, in addition to facilitating leadership development experiences, Mary Kay serves clergy and staff teams doing one-to-one and group leadership development, team building, strategic planning, and organizational development consulting. She will share her perspectives on how to claim our voice as leaders in our community and how to face our changing world.
- April 14- TBD
Visit the Learning Events page to learn about upcoming adult education opportunities.